- Local News
U.S. Marshal Chief Deputy Alex Neville, Marshal Gary Gaskins, sex offender investigation coordinator John Hare and West Virginia State Police Capt. J.H. Merrill held a press conference in order to release information relating to a month-long sex offender compliance checks operation. The operation was executed in the northern 32 counties of West Virginia.
U.S. Marshals Service, State Police team to monitor sex offenders
The U.S. Marshals Service teamed up with the West Virginia State Police to conduct compliance checks on sex offenders in the northern district of the state.
Operation Spring Compliance began on March 20 and ended on April 20. The month-long operation worked in the 32 northern counties where, according to the State Police Sex Offender Registry, about 1,800 sex offenders reside.
- National Drug Take Back set Saturday
- Blickenstaff: Put needs in ‘accomplished’ column
- Fairmont to fill vacant council seat
- Bush’s murder convictions reinstated
- U.S. Marshals Service, State Police team to monitor sex offenders
Bolander no-hits FSHS in 1-0 win: PHOTOS
Jacob Bolander is known affectionately by his East Fairmont teammates as “BoBo.” After his performance Thursday, the Bee baseball team might have to change that nickname to “No-No.”
The right-handed ace tossed a no-hitter against No. 3 Fairmont Senior in a 1-0 win over the cross-town rival at Mary Lou Retton Park.
- White tops Maroon in spring game: PHOTOS
- FSHS girls’ lacrosse wins on Cancer Awareness Night
- HERTZEL COLUMN: WVU depth chart sends messages
- WVU baseball hosts K-State in Big 12 clash
- Bolander no-hits FSHS in 1-0 win: PHOTOS
- West Virginia
State to get $5.6 million for laid-off miners
West Virginia will receive an additional $5.6 million in federal grants to help coal workers affected by mine closures and layoffs.
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin announced Thursday that WorkForce West Virginia will receive National Emergency grants through 2016 for displaced miners. The state received $1.8 million in 2012.
- Symptoms match with spilled chemical
- West Virginia chemical safe level following spill based on two weeks
- Some state Democrats flip to GOP
- Gee’s move could save Ohio State millions
- State to get $5.6 million for laid-off miners
- Headline News
FDA eases into regulating e-cigarettes
The federal government’s move to regulate e-cigarettes is a leap into the unknown.
Most everyone agrees a ban on selling them to kids would be a step forward. But health and public policy experts can’t say for certain whether the electronic devices are a good thing or a bad thing overall, whether they help smokers kick the habit or are a gateway to ordinary paper-and-tobacco cigarettes.
- Gunman kills three Americans at Kabul hospital
- Fresh Senate voices speak out on foreign policy
- Labor Department cuts levels of allowable coal dust
- Obama offers Japan security, economic assurances
- FDA eases into regulating e-cigarettes
South at heart of fight to control Senate
The South is where President Barack Obama and Democrats long have struggled, and it’s where the party’s toughest battleground will be this year in the fight for control of the U.S. Senate.
Three incumbents must face the consequences of having voted for Obama’s health care law, but Republicans first must settle primaries in several states, including a challenge to Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.
- Contrast for parties in 2016 presidential race clear
- Men play major role regarding gender gap
- Obama returns to divided government
- Battleground bonanza
- South at heart of fight to control Senate
GriefShare helps ease the pain of loss
For years, Judy Brown was weighed down by the painful burden of the grief from losing many family members.
Her dad died in 1999, her sister in 2001, her mother in 2003 and an uncle in 2005. Her in-laws had passed away, also.
It was almost more than she could bear.
- VIDEO: Remembering Harold Ramis
- Die-hard WVU fan goes to extremes to keep his attendance streak alive
- Churches use big game as way of giving
- Change to Westminster show celebrates the everydog
- GriefShare helps ease the pain of loss
- Special Web Sections
- News Poll
- Sports Poll