- Daily Grind
What is the process of becoming a city policeman?
I interviewed a Morgantown city policeman. He stated, “I love being a cop and having that feeling of purpose in my life. There is nothing better than knowing you helped someone. The best part is the kids. I love to see their faces light up when the police are around. I’m thankful to work at a city department because there is so much work to do and you never really get bored.”
- Eating disorders The transition from high school to college can be stressful. Anxiety and social pressures can change, or restrict, a person’s eating patterns which increases the likeliness that an eating disorder will develop.
- The lone senior When a team has had as much success at the West Virginia basketball team has had this season, it’s hard to believe that there is just one senior on the team.
- Seeking a solution The Morgantown Fire Department has identified 60 problem streets in the city that are too narrow for fire trucks to navigate. Extended response times increase the risk of loss of life or property.
- Showing support If you’ve ever attended a West Virginia University football or basketball game and wondered who those loud, enthusiastic fans in the gold T-shirts were, they’re the Mountaineer Maniacs. The Maniacs is a student-run and funded organization full of die-hard Mountaineer fans.
- Keeping them healthy Currently in Monongalia County, there are only nine school nurses for approximately 10,400 students in the education system.
- ‘A unique situation’ While the rest of the country faces a bleak economic situation, Morgantown has been insulated from the financial downturn seen across West Virginia and the rest of the nation. This isolation has kept Morgantown’s economy stable, translating to available seasonal jobs and low rates of unemployment.
- Off-campus housing Although the spring semester has just begun, many students will be preparing for next year’s move from the dorms to housing off-campus.
- Fashion statement American Eagle. Hollister. Gap. Abercrombie and Fitch. Victoria’s Secret. Tommy Hilfiger. Ralph Lauren. Coach. Gucci. Dolce and Gabbana.
A reality check
For the past month, my time had been spent doing virtually nothing of immediate importance: Watching movies, spending times with old friends and family, and working a shift or two at my old job were the main items on the agenda.
No classes, homework, tests, papers or final exams. I was finally back home, free to do what I wanted with my time whenever I pleased. Excited to return and see my family and friends without having to study, I was more than ready for Christmas break when it showed up on Dec. 12.
- More Daily Grind Headlines
- Hard-knock life What is the process of becoming a city policeman?