Times West Virginian
The leaves soon will be turning brilliant hues of red, orange and yellow. The air will be decidedly crisper. And the days will get noticeably shorter.
It’s official: Fall has arrived.
And with the cooler weather comes new options for fall activities for kids. There are so many fun things to do before the winter weather sets in. The following outdoor fall activities can be done by families of any size.
• Go apple picking at a local orchard.
• Bake a treat with the apples you just picked: a pie, galette, applesauce, etc.
• Rake leaves, make a huge pile and jump in!
• Go on a hay ride.
• Roast marshmallows over a bonfire.
• Make s’mores with roasted marshmallows.
• Play a neighborhood game of touch football.
• Attend a local football game, whether it’s college, high school or peewee.
• Enjoy a mini tailgating party before the football game.
• Plant fall flower bulbs that will bloom next spring: tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, etc.
• Tour a scary haunted house.
• Visit a pumpkin patch.
• Carve the biggest pumpkin you bought at the patch.
• Bake a treat with the smallest pumpkin you bought at the patch: pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pancakes, etc.
• Attend a fall festival.
• Host a hot dog roast over an open fire.
• Go through a corn maze.
• Iron colorful leaves between two sheets of waxed paper. Display on fridge.
• Make a fall wreath.
For more information, visit http://www.creativeplayplus.com/2011/10/03/50-fun-fall-activities-for-kids-or-lots-of-cool-cool-weather-things-to-do/.