By Colleen S. Good
Times West Virginian
PLEASANT VALLEY —
Pleasant Valley may soon have a more coordinated plan for dealing with code violations and demolishing dilapidated structures.
Code-enforcement officer John Miller said he thought the city was going at a good pace, but he would like to create a plan so that they are not overwhelmed in future years.
Mayor Barbara Metcalfe agreed.
“We’ve taken down four structures since I’ve been on council, and it seems like we’re doing really well,” Metcalfe said.
Miller said that he would like to see a plan created to decide what priority each case should get.
“Dangerous structures are the first ones I’d go after. After that, I would go after the ones that affect the public the most,” Miller said.
Miller said he will give council members a list of structures he has concerns about, and council members will survey their areas to see if there are additional structures to keep an eye on.
Council members set up a work session to discuss the issue on Monday, Jan. 20, at 6 p.m.
Metcalfe brought up the possibility of Christmas lights on the streets in Pleasant Valley next year.
“Every community has Christmas lights, except Pleasant Valley,” Metcalfe said.
Metcalfe said a first step in getting Christmas lights will be to contact the power company to see which poles can have lights installed on them and create a plan for how many they would want to see. Lights cost around $500, Metcalfe said.
“We can start small,” Metcalfe said.
In other business:
• Larry Zaccagnini and William J. (B.J.) Hawkins were appointed to the 2014-2016 planning commission.
• After examining bids for installing security cameras around the municipal building, council voted to select ICU-Video Security with a bid for $5,000.
• Council approved paying an invoice to Wolfe Creek for $27,740 for work completed on phase V of the sidewalk project.
• The Three Rivers Festival and Rivesville 4th of July Festival requested funding. Council will make a decision on the requests at the next meeting in January.
• City council meetings will now be held the third Tuesday of the month instead of the third Wednesday. Next month’s meeting will be held Tuesday, Jan. 21.
Email Colleen S. Good at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her on Twitter @CSGoodTWV.