By Kaylyn Christopher
Times West Virginian
East Park Elementary School students and staff were released early Thursday following a false carbon monoxide alarm.
Marion County Superintendent of Schools Gary Price said that a carbon monoxide detector went off as the result of testing and was misconstrued as notification that carbon monoxide was detected. Still, Price said that the fire department did go through the building to investigate the situation and ensure safety following the alarm.
This incident occurred after furnace problems plagued the school last week, resulting in an early dismissal on Monday, Feb. 18. School resumed on Feb. 19, 20 and 21, but problems arose again on Feb. 21 when fumes from the furnace re-appeared.