The Times West Virginian

May 21, 2013

$1B deal for power plant is defended

Official says transfer of Harrison Power Station would help Mon Power meet energy obligations

By Debra Minor Wilson
Times West Virginian

FAIRMONT — Next week, FirstEnergy’s proposal to transfer full ownership of the Harrison Power Station to Mon Power comes before the Public Service Commission of West Virginia.

The move would help Mon Power meet its energy obligations, eliminating the need to buy electricity from out-of-state sources, said Jim Haney, vice president, Compliance and Regulated Services Chief Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Compliance Officer.

Mon Power provides power to more than 385,000 customers in the northern half of West Virginia and to 132,000 Potomac Edison customers in the Eastern Panhandle.

The utility, which owns about 20 percent (400 megawatts) of Harrison Power Station, would buy the remaining 80 percent of Harrison from FirstEnergy subsidiary Allegheny Energy Supply.

In exchange, Mon Power would sell its 8 percent share of the Pleasants Power station at Willow Island to AE Supply, giving that subsidiary 100 percent ownership.

Both companies are subsidiaries of Ohio-based FirstEnergy.

The $1.1 billion purchase has been approved by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Haney said.

 

Full story