The Times West Virginian

World News

May 23, 2012

North Korea vows to push ahead with nuclear program

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea on Tuesday vowed to push ahead with its nuclear program because of what it called U.S. hostility, as an outside analysis of satellite images suggested it has ramped up work at its nuclear test site over the past month.

North Korea’s statement from an unidentified Foreign Ministry spokesman came a day after a senior U.S. envoy met with high-ranking South Korean and Japanese envoys in Seoul and warned the North that an atomic test would unify the world in seeking swift, tough punishment.

North Korea made no direct threat of a nuclear test and said it was open to dialogue to resolve the nuclear standoff. An analyst, Koh Yu-hwan at Seoul’s Dongguk University, said the Foreign Ministry statement was a message that “the U.S. should come to the dialogue table (with North Korea) if it wants to stop its nuclear test.”

There has been widespread worry that North Korea may follow a failed April 13 long-range rocket test with a third nuclear test. Both of its previous nuclear tests, in 2006 and 2009, followed rocket launches.

Late Tuesday, Glyn Davies, the top U.S. envoy for North Korea, told reporters in Beijing, where he is meeting with Chinese counterparts to discuss the North Korean nuclear situation, that he hadn’t had a chance to study the North’s latest statement but that his initial sense was that it was consistent with what it has said in the past.

Satellite images taken by DigitalGlobe and GeoEye in the past month show heightened activity at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site in North Korea’s northeast, including mining carts, excavation equipment and a large amount of debris taken from inside a tunnel and piled around its entrance, James Hardy, IHS Jane’s Asia-Pacific specialist, said in a statement Tuesday. The most recent image was from May 9.

South Korean intelligence officials said last month that satellite images showed North Korea was digging a new tunnel in what appeared to be preparation for another nuclear test at the site. A new tunnel is likely needed because existing ones probably caved in and became contaminated with radioactive material after previous tests.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who took power in December following the death of his father, Kim Jong Il, has vowed to place top priority on his impoverished country’s military.

“It is very important that North Korea not miscalculate again and engage in any future provocation,” Davies told reporters earlier at the South Korean Foreign Ministry. “If they make the right choices, there can be a different future for North Korea.”

Another nuclear test, however, would result in “swift and sure” punishment at the U.N. Security Council, he said.

North Korea announced its planned rocket launch just two weeks after it had struck a food aid-for-nuclear freeze deal with Washington — the result of months of tedious, back-and-forth negotiations that was seen as something of a breakthrough at the time.

Washington and other nations called the April rocket launch a cover for a test of missile technology that could be used to attack the United States — and therefore a violation of the U.S.-North Korea deal. North Korea said the rocket, which broke into pieces over the Yellow Sea shortly after liftoff, was meant to send an observational satellite into orbit.

“If the U.S. persists in its moves to ratchet up sanctions and pressure upon us despite our peace-loving efforts, we will be left with no option but to take countermeasures for self-defense,” the North’s Foreign Ministry statement said.

1
Text Only
World News
  • Obama offers Europe, Mideast allies assurances

    From the heart of Europe to the expanse of Saudi Arabia’s desert, President Barack Obama’s weeklong overseas trip amounted to a reassurance tour for stalwart, but sometimes skeptical, American allies.
    At a time when Obama is grappling with crises and conflict in both Europe and the Middle East, the four-country swing also served as a reminder that even those longtime partners still need some personal attention from the president.

    March 30, 2014

  • New objects seen, but no evidence of jet

    A day after the search for the Malaysian jetliner shifted to a new area of the Indian Ocean, ships on Saturday plucked objects from the sea to determine whether they were related to the missing jet. None were confirmed to be from the plane, leaving searchers with no sign of the jet three weeks after it disappeared.

    March 30, 2014

  • Security forces storm protester-held Egypt mosque and round up hundreds

    Egyptian security forces stormed a Cairo mosque Saturday after a heavy exchange of gunfire with armed men shooting down from a minaret, rounding up hundreds of supporters of the country’s ousted president who had sought refuge there overnight after violent clashes killed 173 people.

    August 18, 2013

  • Hundreds reported killed as Egypt smashes protests

    In Egypt’s bloodiest day since the Arab Spring began, riot police Wednesday smashed two protest camps of supporters of the deposed Islamist president, touching off street violence that officials said killed nearly 300 people and forced the military-backed interim leaders to impose a state of emergency and curfew.

    August 15, 2013

  • Seven Saudis among militants killed by drones

    At least seven suspected militants from Saudi Arabia were among the alleged al-Qaida members killed in Yemen in a recent wave of U.S. drone strikes, senior Yemeni officials said Friday, suggesting that Saudis are increasingly crossing the border to carry funds or seek terrorist training.

    August 10, 2013

  • Yemen terror boss left blueprint for waging jihad

    A year before he was caught on an intercept discussing the terror plot that prompted this week’s sweeping closure of U.S. embassies abroad, al-Qaida’s top operative in Yemen laid out his blueprint for how to wage jihad in letters sent to a fellow terrorist.

    August 10, 2013

  • U.S. sharply escalates its drone war in Yemen

    The U.S. has sharply escalated its drone war in Yemen, with military officials in the Arab country reporting 34 suspected al-Qaida militants killed in less than two weeks, including three strikes on Thursday alone in which a dozen died.

    August 9, 2013

  • Nine Afghans killed in attack on Indian consulate

    Three suicide bombers tried to attack the Indian consulate in an eastern Afghan city on Saturday, sparking a shootout with guards on a bustling downtown street that left at least nine civilians dead, official said.

    August 3, 2013

  • U.S. diplomat in Egypt holds talks with rival sides

    Egypt’s Interior Ministry warned supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi on Saturday for a second time to abandon their protest camps as a senior U.S. diplomat met with officials on both sides of the country’s political divide.

    August 3, 2013

  • In Egypt bloodshed, dozens of Morsi supporters are killed

    Security forces and armed men clashed with supporters of Egypt’s ousted president early Saturday, killing at least 65 people in mayhem that underscored an increasingly heavy hand against protests demanding Mohammed Morsi’s return to office.

    July 28, 2013

Featured Ads
NDN Editor's Picks
House Ads