By Colleen S. Good
Times West Virginian
FAIRMONT — Tuesday evening, the Fairmont Fire Department went to Fairmont General Hospital in response to an automatic fire alarm at approximately 8:05 p.m.
Capt. Mark Angelucci with the Fairmont Fire Department said that the alarm can be triggered by power surges, such as when the power goes out and the hospital needs to switch to a generator.
The power at the hospital went out around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday.
While they were there, they also responded to reports of a burning rubber smell in the hospital, which, according to scanner traffic, was present in an elevator shaft and other areas around the hospital.
After a thorough three-and-a-half hour examination of the hospital, they determined that the odor was likely related to the power outage.
“We think it (the odor) was due to some of the equipment running on low power,” Angelucci said.
The hospital was able to resume normal operations around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday evening.
Find the full story in Thursday’s Times West Virginian, available at newsstands or through home delivery by calling 304-367-2525 or 304-367-2527.