Fire officials say a gas heater is to blame for an early morning fire in Marion County.

Officials responded to a fire on Sandy Beach Road in Colfax early Wednesday.

Mark Niggemyer, assistant chief at the Winfield Volunteer Fire Department, said firefighters responded to the call sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m.

He said a heating accident with a gas heater was to blame for the fire.

“The wall by the chimney had to be removed in order to get the fire out,” Niggemyer said.

Niggemyer added the room was a complete loss, but the rest of the house only suffered smoke and water damage.

No one was hurt in the fire, he said. However, the Winfield VFD did ask CSX to temporarily halt railroad traffic in the area because fire hoses were across the tracks, Niggemyer said.

He said no suspicious activity was suspected.

According to published reports, the house is unavailable at this time due to the weather. Despite the subzero temperatures at the time of the fire, crews were able to get there quickly, which they believed may have helped save the home.

The Marion County Rescue Squad, Pleasant Valley VFD and other volunteers responded to the fire.

Email Kristen Talerico at or follow her on Twitter @KTalericoTWV.

Trending Video

Recommended for you