“There’s no place like home for the holidays,” the song says, but what do you do when your house is gone?
Bill and Tina Linn and their three children lost their house in a major structure fire on Dec. 3, but thanks to their friends and an incredibly supportive community, were able to enjoy a Christmas dinner at the Fairfield Inn and visit with Santa Tuesday evening.
“(We’re) overwhelmed,” Bill Linn said. “It’s very humbling.”
The Linn’s residence on Hopewell Road burned down Dec. 3, and officials declared the structure a total loss. Fortunately, no one was home at the time, though the family dog is believed to have perished in the fire.
Devanna Corley, a family friend, said that she was inspired to pull together the event, which involved crafts and activities with friends in addition to a visit from St. Nick, to help the Linns enjoy the season.
“This is a night to just give them an opportunity to be as normal as a family can be,” she said.