Robinson Street Fire

A fire late Sunday night damaged a home in Fairmont and sent one person to the hospital.

FAIRMONT — One person is in critical condition after a fire damaged a home in Fairmont late Sunday.

Chief Jim Emerick with the Fairmont Fire Department said crews were dispatched to 302 Robinson Street around 10:30 p.m. Sunday in response to a structure fire. Emerick said when the call came in, crews were told there was a possibility that a person was trapped in the home.

“Our guys got on scene, went in and knocked the fire down,” he said.

Emerick said firefighters found a man in home when they made it inside.

According to the Marion County 911 log, a landing zone was set up on Maple Avenue. Emerick said the individual was taken out of the home and flown by HealthNet to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Emerick said the man is in critical condition at this time.

As for the cause of the fire, Emerick said that it started in the living room of the two story house and was electrical. He said the fire is not suspicious at this point but the West Virginia Fire Marshal Office has been contacted.

Emerick said the living room of the home was damage by the fire. He said the rest of the home has smoke and heat damage.

According to Emerick, the fire cost between $30,000 and $50,000 in damages.

Email Emily Gallagher at egallagher@timewv.com or follow her on Twitter @EGallagherTWV.

Recommended for you