Robinson Fire

A residence on Robinson Street in Fairmont was damaged by a structure fire late Sunday night. The fire sent one person to the hospital.

FAIRMONT — One person is in critical condition after a fire damaged a home in Fairmont late Sunday.

Chief Jim Emerick with the Fairmont Fire Department said crews were dispatched to 302 Robinson St. around 10:30 p.m. Sunday in response to a structure fire. Emerick said when the call came in, crews were told there was a possibility that a person was entrapped in the home.

“Our guys got on scene, went in and knocked the fire down,” he said.

Emerick said firefighters found a man in the home when they arrived on scene.

According to the Marion County 911 log, a landing zone was set up on Maple Avenue. Emerick said the man was taken out of the home and flown by HealthNet to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

As of press time, Emerick said the man was in critical condition.

As for the cause of the fire, Emerick said it started in the living room of the two-story house and was electrical. He said the fire is not suspicious at this time, but the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office has been contacted.

Emerick said the living room of the home was damaged by the fire. He said the rest of the home has smoke and heat damage.

According to Emerick, the fire cost between $30,000 and $50,000 in damages.

Email Emily Gallagher at egallagher@timewv.com or follow her on Twitter @EGallagherTWV.

Trending Video

Recommended for you