FAIRMONT — Going into the 2020 season last fall, Fairmont Senior’s main ticket back to its fourth state championship game in five years was always the talent and intangibles of star quarterback and defensive back Gage Michael.
2020 Sports Year in Review
- State basketball playoffs postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus
- Remainder of basketball season canceled along with all spring sports
- Fairmont Senior rolls past East Fairmont 41-14 to win 100th East-West game
- Back to back: Lady Polar Bears overcome the odds to repeat as Class AA state champions
- Fairmont Senior battles back from early adversity to repeat as state champs with 3-2 victory
- Polar Bears’ Frazier, Bees’ Boyers earn record state title victories
- MEC suspends all athletic competition indefinitely due to COVID-19
- Lady Polar Bears stun Oak Glen 2-1 on Cinalli's golden goal get back to states
- Despite state tournament defeat, Huskies 2020 golf season one for the books
- Back on top: Fairmont Senior avenges semifinal loss to Bluefield, declared Class AA state champions
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
MORGANTOWN — Despite the uncertainties of a football season played in the shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic that left teams uncertain of the personnel it would have available for the next game or even if that next game would be played on schedule or at all, WVU Coach Neal Brown found a way to …
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Padres brought right-hander Joe Musgrove to his hometown team Tuesday, adding yet another starting pitcher in a seven-player trade involving the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets.
Sunday, January 17, 2021
FAIRMONT — When Fairmont Senior High entered this past fall aiming for a repeat state soccer championship, it did so with a trio of aces in its pocket in the superstar triad of brother Isaac and Jonas Branch and Bubby Towns.
Saturday, January 16, 2021
PITTSBURGH — The Pirates avoided arbitration with right-handed pitcher Joe Musgrove and eight others on Friday as the club tries to bounce back after finishing with the worst record in the majors in 2020.
Friday, January 15, 2021
FAIRMONT — In the aftermath of Wednesday’s Top 25 MEC showdown between No. 4 West Liberty and No. 21 Fairmont State, neither Fairmont State coach Tim Koenig nor West Liberty coach Ben Howlett exactly characterized their teams’ offensive displays in glowing terms.
FAIRMONT — The path to even get onto the court and start the 2021 season wasn’t ideal for Fairmont State women’s basketball, as the Lady Falcons had their first two games of the season postponed due to COVID-19 protocols. And once Fairmont State finally made its season debut Thursday against…
Thursday, January 14, 2021
FAIRMONT — The WVSSAC charted the complete path for the resumption of high school sports on Feb. 15 by releasing the updated sports calendar for both winter and spring sports on Wednesday.
MORGANTOWN — Perhaps it is, as some would suggest, going out on a limb to proclaim Nick Saban the greatest college football coach of all time, although possessing seven national titles provides a rather strong argument in his favor.
Wednesday, January 13, 2021
FAIRMONT — Its usual marksmanship faded. Its trademark ping-ping decision-making stalled. And overall, West Liberty's electric offense that was averaging a nation-best 110.5 points a game entering Wednesday didn't produce at its regular aptitude.
FAIRMONT — The Fairmont State women’s basketball team has once again had another game postponed in accordance with the Mountain East Conference protocols. Fortunately, this time around, the wait for the Lady Falcons won’t be long.
PITTSBURGH — Mike Tomlin understands change is inevitable, though the longtime Pittsburgh Steelers head coach also knows his organization has avoided it more than most.
FAIRMONT — Despite being less than a week into the 2021 Mountain East Conference season, the league’s biggest game of the season may already be here as Fairmont State men’s basketball hosts West Liberty today at 7:30 p.m. at Joe Retton Arena.
Tuesday, January 12, 2021
MORGANTOWN — The spike in positive tests and contact tracing that hit the West Virginia men’s basketball team and forced the postponement of Tuesday night’s key trip to Waco, Texas, to face the No. 2 Baylor team has now forced the postponement of the next two scheduled games at the Coliseum.
PHILADELPHIA — Flyers fans have posted photos of Sidney Crosby in arena urinals, an uncouth custom to let the Penguins’ star know he will never be No. 1 in Philly.
Monday, January 11, 2021
FAIRMONT — Following a month of uncertainty, the high school sports world in West Virginia received a bit of clarity and finally a morsel of good news on Monday.
MORGANTOWN – The Big 12 Conference announced today that the West Virginia University men’s basketball game at Baylor scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 12 has been postponed in accordance with the Conference’s game interruption guidelines.
Sunday, January 10, 2021
FAIRMONT — Frustrations simmered and play suffered at times for Fairmont State in its 2021 home opener against Davis & Elkins Sunday at Joe Retton Arena.
MORGANTOWN — The fatal blow to West Virginia’s hopes of knocking off No. 4 Texas Saturday afternoon in the Coliseum will go down as a slash to the throat from Andrew Jones’ hands on a 3-point shot from the corner that delivered the Longhorns a 72-70 victory at the Coliseum.
Saturday, January 09, 2021
MORGANTOWN – The West Virginia University women’s basketball upset No. 17/17 Texas, 92-58, on Saturday evening, at the WVU Coliseum in Morgantown.
PITTSBURGH — The Cleveland Browns waited nearly two decades to return to the playoffs. To extend their breakthrough season, they’ll have to do it without their unflappable first-year coach in a place where the franchise’s shortcomings are put into stark relief:
Friday, January 08, 2021
- Russell Yann, owner of Yann's Hotdog Stand, passes away
- Marion County's Nick Saban earned legendary status Monday night
- Two more Marion County residents die from COVID-19
- State leaders call for investigation and disbarment of Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
- Tshiebwe's departure proves failures of NCAA transfer portal
- COVID-19 takes its toll on local health care workers
- WVU QB Kendall reflects on Liberty Bowl success
- Longstreth joins the Marion County Commission as officials try to step up vaccinations
- Clarksburg native and wife establish scholarship at Fairmont State
- State Board of Education votes to have grades Pre-K through 8 return to in-person classes
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.