University shuts out East Fairmont, 3-0

East Fairmont’s Nolan Harvath (25) shields a University defender from the ball during the Bees’ 3-0 loss to the Hawks Tuesday at East-West Stadium.

East Fairmont’s head boys’ soccer coach Jim Pearcy was not happy following his team’s 3-0 loss to University Tuesday.

It wasn’t necessarily because his Bees were on the losing end of the shutout. It was more a matter of how they ended up there.

“You can’t beat the 12th man on the field,” he said, waiting patiently in front of the officials’ locker room. “Garrett Saiko did a good job in goal, but when they are tackling the goalie and nothing is called. ... The last defender trips our player on the way to the goal; that should be a red card. That’s why I am going to question my officials about why it wasn’t.”

The Bees fell behind early when University broke through the Bee defenders and made a nice pass in front on Saiko to put the ball in the back of the net.

East Fairmont tried to battle with the more speedy Hawks, taking advantage of a several tries inside the box, but each was either turned away or missed its mark.

The two teams each spent a lot of time in the other’s end of the field with nothing to show for it after the first UHS goal. Saiko continued to play tough in goal for the Bees, turning away several close shots to keep East within striking distance as the teams went into the halftime break.

“Some of the guys played well,” Pearcy said, “but we can’t capitalize on the scoring opportunities.”

Midway through the second half the Hawks added another goal when Saiko appeared to make a save. After being bumped by a UHS player who was rushing after the ball, Saiko dropped the ball, which the Hawks quickly converted into their second goal of the match.

“There’s nothing you can do about that,” Pearcy said referring to the hit. “Two of the goals probably shouldn’t have counted. Their last goal was nice.”

East had one of its best opportunities for a goal with just over eight minutes left in the game after Michael Ebbert got free in the box, but his kick just hit the right post on the goal. East also missed on a direct kick after a foul that Pearcy thought should have been a red card.

The Hawks added the final goal of the game with under a minute to play when Kwasi Frempong beat the Bees to the ball and knocked it home.

“That goal was a good one,” Pearcy said. “The defender missed it, and he was right there to knock it in.”

The Bees (2-4-1, 0-2 in the North Central Athletic Conference) will return to action when they host Buckhannon-Upshur at 8 p.m. Thursday at East-West Stadium.

“We are struggling offensively right now. We have a young team up front,” Pearcy said. “We’re trying to put it together. We just haven’t got it yet.”

E-mail Mike Bowen at

Recommended for you