MORGANTOWN — Despite the uncertainties of a football season played in the shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic that left teams uncertain of the personnel it would have available for the next game or even if that next game would be played on schedule or at all, WVU Coach Neal Brown found a way to …
2020 Sports Year in Review
- State basketball playoffs postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus
- Remainder of basketball season canceled along with all spring sports
- Fairmont Senior rolls past East Fairmont 41-14 to win 100th East-West game
- Back to back: Lady Polar Bears overcome the odds to repeat as Class AA state champions
- Fairmont Senior battles back from early adversity to repeat as state champs with 3-2 victory
- Polar Bears’ Frazier, Bees’ Boyers earn record state title victories
- MEC suspends all athletic competition indefinitely due to COVID-19
- Lady Polar Bears stun Oak Glen 2-1 on Cinalli's golden goal get back to states
- Despite state tournament defeat, Huskies 2020 golf season one for the books
- Back on top: Fairmont Senior avenges semifinal loss to Bluefield, declared Class AA state champions
Thursday, January 14, 2021
MORGANTOWN — Perhaps it is, as some would suggest, going out on a limb to proclaim Nick Saban the greatest college football coach of all time, although possessing seven national titles provides a rather strong argument in his favor.
Tuesday, January 12, 2021
MORGANTOWN — The spike in positive tests and contact tracing that hit the West Virginia men’s basketball team and forced the postponement of Tuesday night’s key trip to Waco, Texas, to face the No. 2 Baylor team has now forced the postponement of the next two scheduled games at the Coliseum.
Sunday, January 10, 2021
MORGANTOWN — The fatal blow to West Virginia’s hopes of knocking off No. 4 Texas Saturday afternoon in the Coliseum will go down as a slash to the throat from Andrew Jones’ hands on a 3-point shot from the corner that delivered the Longhorns a 72-70 victory at the Coliseum.
Friday, January 08, 2021
Thursday, January 07, 2021
Wednesday, January 06, 2021
MORGANTOWN — Bob Huggins had had enough watching Oklahoma State running what seemed to be layup lines while the clock ran down and the deficit he was facing grew.
Tuesday, January 05, 2021
Monday, January 04, 2021
STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — Derek Culver had 22 points and 19 rebounds to help No. 14 West Virginia come all the way back from 19 down in the second half to beat Oklahoma State 87-84 on Monday night.
Sunday, January 03, 2021
MORGANTOWN — West Virginia University has won its only game of the New Year’s week but few — if any — coaches in the country have had a rougher go of it than Bob Huggins.
MORGANTOWN — The labor pains were pure torture as West Virginia went through its rebirth in the post-Oscar Tschiebwe era during a first half that produced only 20 points as they fell behind host Oklahoma by 18 points, but once they figured out who they had become and how they will have to pl…
Thursday, December 31, 2020
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — West Virginia coach Neal Brown knew he would use reserve quarterback Austin Kendall in the second half. The redshirt senior ended up leading the Moutaineers to a Liberty Bowl victory.
Wednesday, December 30, 2020
MORGANTOWN — West Virginia backup forward Isaiah Cottrell will miss the rest of the season after tearing his left Achilles tendon, the team announced Wednesday.
Tuesday, December 29, 2020
MORGANTOWN — Derek Culver scored 18 points, Oscar Tshiebwe had 12 points and 15 rebounds and No. 9 West Virginia used its size advantage to beat Northeastern 73-51 on Tuesday.
Tuesday, December 22, 2020
LAWRENCE, Kan. — Christian Braun hit six 3-pointers and had 22 points, Jalen Wilson hit four 3s and scored 17, and No. 3 Kansas shrugged off a mid-game malaise before cruising past seventh-ranked West Virginia 79-65 on Tuesday night.
Sunday, December 20, 2020
MORGANTOWN — That big, glitzy new scoreboard they put in the Coliseum this year was flashing the 70-65 final score of what was a surprisingly hard-fought West Virginia, the nation’s No. 7/8 team, victory over Iowa State, a team sporting just a 1-3 record coming into this late Friday night Bi…
MORGANTOWN — It was Friday night, late Friday night as basketball times go, considering West Virginia was caught up in the midst of a Cyclone, one that roared out of Iowa in the form of the Iowa State basketball team.
Saturday, December 19, 2020
STILLWATER, Okla. –The West Virginia University women’s basketball team (5-2, 0-2 Big 12) opened its Big 12 road slate on Friday evening, falling to Oklahoma State, 78-73, at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater.
MORGANTOWN — If this is what the Big 12 is going to be like this year, better buckle up the seat belts because it’s going to be a thrill a minute for West Virginia.
MORGANTOWN — A little over a week ago, as the West Virginia men's basketball team was climbing the rankings into the Top 10 and as the football team was concluding a COVID-19 disrupted regular season that showed marked improvement over Coach Neal Brown's first season, I decided to conduct a …
Friday, December 18, 2020
MORGANTOWN — When West Virginia opens its Big 12 basketball schedule at 9 p.m. Friday night at the Coliseum, the Mountaineers will face a team that has begun its rebuilding process by bringing in three transfers.
Thursday, December 17, 2020
MORGANTOWN – As it turned out, even though coaches were unable to do any off-campus recruiting since March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, West Virginia swept the world for recruits.
- Russell Yann, owner of Yann's Hotdog Stand, passes away
- Marion County's Nick Saban earned legendary status Monday night
- Two more Marion County residents die from COVID-19
- State leaders call for investigation and disbarment of Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
- Tshiebwe's departure proves failures of NCAA transfer portal
- COVID-19 takes its toll on local health care workers
- WVU QB Kendall reflects on Liberty Bowl success
- Longstreth joins the Marion County Commission as officials try to step up vaccinations
- Clarksburg native and wife establish scholarship at Fairmont State
- State Board of Education votes to have grades Pre-K through 8 return to in-person classes
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.